Yeah, yeah i know girl playing support, what a cliche. But hear me out, I wasn't originally playing supports (I was mid-laner - Ahri, Zyra, Lux were my specialty) and I had pretty legitimate reasons for the switch of roles (but not a change of heart). So here is the reasoning for the change:
Mid or AFK
Who didn't saw likes of this... is a lucky fellow who decided Dominion is his calling. Multiple people calling lanes (and arguing) is bread and butter of soloQ (normal or ranked regardless). You can't change others, but you can decide not to participate in the lane hunt. I did just that and looked around and tried other roles... And with this in mind, support is the role you can call freely and everyone will be relieved and happy. You should know every role but there is always something you will be handling the best - one that suits your personality. Although as the laws of irony goes - my first 4 ranked games I was forced to play Mid as all other roles had been called...
I wanna fight, not play whack-a-mole
I was always in-your-face kind of player who just tried to fight all the time and kill your butt. Farming part of the game was just some minor stuff that filled the time when I was waiting for cooldowns to come up or enemy to get in reach (Probably my Bloodline champions heritage). Taking that into account - top is a farm fest and now even more than ever with super tank meta. ADC is farm fest as well and jungler is PVE spiced up by ambushes (depends on your style ofc, but I didn't even had any duelist junglers). So there you go support. You are expected to manifest some "presence" in lane - make them fear and respect you (and your zenith blade). While on higher levels of play that happens on its own (they know perfectly well what you are capable of), around silver you just have to bash their heads until they die or understand what personal space means. Leona, Nami and Zyra became quickly my favorites because of their play-making abilities and style and how hard they can zone.
Be the game breaker
Auto-attacking is cool (not really) but dmg is not everything and most definitely not what makes a teamfight. Watching professional supports and later playing that role myself - I realized how big impact support has. The room for outplay is tremendous. So many games are won by that 5 men flash crescendo's, bubble-wave combos and similar. Others do the damage, but you can serve the whole team on a silver platter, sit back and enjoy watching them melt.
Be the tactician
You and the jungler are most of the time the only ones really focusing on the bigger picture. Especially before when you were the sole person responsible for warding (because no-one else did that). You watch the map, what is being done, where is enemy jungler (I still don't get why people abandoned CV and ignore scrying orb - there is no way you can deny that kind of vision and nothing is more frustrating for a jungler that a constant spotlight.) and if enemy lanes are roaming or not. Objectives, enemy movement, map pressure through vision and vision denial. If you do your job well and make the right calls, you may have much bigger impact than your 9/0/0 Zed. Doesn't matter who had the most kills but who's Nexus exploded.
....and so much more about being a support. But these are the main reasons to ditch the other roles and embrace the support. Why do you play your role and how did you came to play it? Share with with me in the comments below!
No comments:
Post a Comment